73°
The Student News Site of Brentwood High School

The Nest

The Nest

The Nest

Music of the Month: February

February was a relatively slow month for music, but this selection of new releases has me thrilled for the future of the music industry this year. Here are my favorite music releases from the month of February… be on the lookout for my March roundup later this month!

1. Over Those Hills – Hayley Williams 

Paramore’s lead singer Hayley Williams released her second solo album, Flowers for Vases / Descansos, earlier this month. Over Those Hills was by far my favorite song off the album. I loved the upbeat pop-like beat that masks the melancholy lyrics. The beginning tricks listeners into believing it is just another slow song as you listen on, though the slow guitar shifts to the catchy chorus that you won’t be able to get out of your head. I recommend this album if you are a fan of artists like Phoebe Bridgers or Taylor Swift. 

2. Worst Behavior – Ariana Grande

One of Ariana’s newest songs from the deluxe version of her hit album Positions, Worst Behavior has a new but familiar sound. Grande combines spacey synths with a simple R&B beat to bring fans a short and catchy new song to dance along to. I chose this song to feature because I thought it was the most unique song of the five released. If you liked the original album, you will love these similar new additions. 

3. Tides – Men I Trust 

Men I Trust brings us a new funky tune to vibe out to this winter. The band’s lead sings over a woozy melody in her signature breathy voice. Tides is a calming and unusual song that almost anyone could enjoy. I hope to see more songs like this from Men I Trust as the year goes on. 

4. Gravity – Brent Faiyaz, DJ Dahi, Tyler, the Creator

Brent Faiyaz has made quite the name for himself after many of his songs have gone viral on TikTok. In his new song featuring Tyler, the Creator, he sings sweet notes relating outer space and love over a soothing guitar and bassline. Tyler’s verse has listeners excited to hear his long-awaited sixth studio album, anticipated to drop sometime this year. With Faiyaz singing, Tyler rapping, DJ Dahi producing, and Steve Lacy on guitar, Gravity is a guaranteed hit of the year. 

5. Gold Chains – Genesis Owusu 

Genesis Owusu’s new track Gold Chains gets me excited to hear more from him in the near future. I had never heard of him before this song was released, but I can see him being a big name in the music industry in the next few years. His unique pop-esque melody mixed with guitar and synth bring something new to the table. Owusu’s flow and chorus are what really tie the whole track together, though. This up-and-comer’s song is a great new addition to any of your current playlists.

Follow me on Spotify for more music recommendations @alexridings