68°
The Student News Site of Brentwood High School

The Nest

The Nest

The Nest

Why you should consider taking a college credit course at BHS

Christian Briscoe
At Brentwood, there are many dual-credit courses to choose from, 22 to be exact.

The idea of college or preparing for it can be stressful and chaotic, but at the same time, it can feel really rewarding. 

Luckily students at Brentwood have the chance to pursue dual-credit enrollment. Through partnerships with the University of Missouri-Saint Louis (UMSL) and Saint Louis Community College (STLCC), Brentwood offers students a jump start on receiving college credits while still in high school.

At Brentwood, there are many dual-credit courses to choose from, 22 to be exact. But what does this mean? Well, through the programs offered at Brentwood, students have the opportunity to take a class in which they would receive both credit for high school and credit to carry over to college. These programs are offered at a reduced price and are taken at the student’s high school. The variety of classes offered makes it an accessible and easy option for students to get ahead while still in high school.

Many people might ask, “Why should I take a dual credit class? Is it worth it?” Brentwood’s college and career advisor, Mrs. Emily Diaz, has plenty of insight to share on this matter.

Mrs. Diaz says dual credit classes are a lot cheaper than taking the course at college itself. Additionally, it saves you time when you go to college, allowing you to have a smaller schedule in college.

“Even if you’re not going to college, they still count as a high school credit that goes towards the credits you need to graduate college. I think it’s worth it either way,” said Mrs. Diaz.

Another benefit to dual-credit enrollment is the economic relief it can bring to students. While the classes do cost money, they are greatly reduced prices compared to the cost of taking the courses in college. Furthermore, students have the ability to apply for scholarships or grants to help pay for the courses. Senior Da’Marion Pierce-Williams notes that he was able to get his college credit for free. Pierce-Williams said, “I qualify for free lunch at the school; having free lunch also gives me the opportunity to receive dual college credit for free. I think it’s very much worth it.” 

Michael Myers plays his guitar in his college credit band class

Dual-credit enrollment is a fantastic way to get a jump-start on college credit by doing what you enjoy. “I love that I can get an early college credit. I’m taking three dual credit classes for my senior year, and I think they are worth it,” said senior Michael Myers. Myers likes that band is a viable option for a dual credit course because he can do what he loves while also receiving credits for college.

One downside of college credit, however, can be the weighted grades. If a student takes a college credit course and receives a low grade, that grade will be carried over to their college GPA and will more heavily affect their high school GPA. So students enrolling in dual-credit classes should be prepared to work at a college level or understand that their grades will stick with them for quite a while. 

From students and experts, it seems that taking dual credit enrollment is worth it. Even if you have decided not to go to college, these classes are still highly beneficial.  So as you prepare your schedule for next year, if you haven’t considered adding a dual credit course, now is the time!

To see the complete list of dual-credit courses offered at Brentwood, click here!

This poll has ended.

Are you gonna take a college credit course in high school?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

**Note, some courses might change for the 2022-2023 school year.

**Note, juniors and seniors must have a 3.0 GPA in order to automatically participate in the UMSL Advanced College Credit Program; students who have a 2.5 GPA can still participate with special permissions 

**Note, seniors and juniors with a 2.5 GPA or higher or sophomores with a 3.0 GPA or higher can participate in the STLCC dual credit program.