Junior Walter Torres looks surprised at the camera while Bullet Train plays in the background

Bullet Train: A hidden gem

Bullet Train, released to theaters in 2022 and as of December third streaming on Netflix,  is an action-packed and thrilling movie that takes place in Japan, following the lives of several criminals who are all linked to the infamous crime boss dubbed “The White Death.”

The movie stars Brad Pitt as the main protagonist “Ladybug,” a character known for his terrible luck. This film is a wild ride that keeps the audience guessing at every turn and is filled to the brim with humor. Despite having an amazing cast and starring Brad Pitt as the main character, the movie didn’t do very well at the box office and only has a 54% on Rotten Tomatoes.

While this might cause someone to overlook it while looking for a new movie to watch on Netflix, I’m here to say that it is more than deserving of your time. 

Junior Walter Torres watches Bullet Train

Why did I love the movie? For starters, the setting of the movie is incredible, starting in the bustling city of Tokyo and then transitioning to the peaceful countryside of Japan. This gives a nice contrast of emotions and really sets the tone.

Because all of the characters are confined to this small train with only so many cars, it allowed for lots of creativity and inventiveness. This also allows for the fantastic soundtrack to shine, featuring a mix of intense action music to Japanese covers of 70’s disco songs like “Staying Alive.”

Another aspect of the film that I thought was outstanding was the cast.

Of course, there’s Brad Pitt, Sandra Bullock, Michael Shannon, etc., but I also felt that some of the actors playing supporting roles absolutely shined. Each character is perfectly cast, and the actors bring them to life in a way that makes them feel like real people. Two of the actors who stood out to me were Aaron Taylor-Johnson as “Tangerine” and Brian Tyree Henry as “Lemon.” Their interactions and chemistry were some of the funniest I’ve seen in a long time, and their obvious friendship in real life helped to make their friendship in the movie feel more authentic.

There are even more aspects of this movie to appreciate, like how the VFX and choreography are top-notch. The fight scenes convey emotion, and the choreography adds to the comedy throughout the film.

Junior Walter Torres points at Brad Pitt on the screen

For example, there’s a scene where Ladybug orders sparkling water from a train attendant in the middle of a fight and then later uses the glass bottle as a weapon, which I thought was hilarious. The neon style of the title sequences, which introduce each character, also adds to the Tokyo vibe and is visually striking.

Overall, Bullet Train exceeded my expectations and is one of the best movies I’ve seen recently. I highly recommend it to fans of action movies or Brad Pitt, but it should be noted that it is R-rated and not suitable for children. The great cast, writing, and visual elements make for an incredible watch.

I would give it a 9/10 and recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and exciting movie to watch. So next time you’re mindlessly scrolling through Netflix desperate for something new to watch, give Bullet Train a try; I promise you won’t regret it.

The Nest • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in