Cover of Team Fortress 2.
~Photo via Valve

Cover of Team Fortress 2. ~Photo via Valve

Team Fortress 2: The multiplayer game like no other

Team Fortress 2 is a class-based multiplayer online combat video game that was released by Valve in 2007. It is a sequel to the original Team Fortress Classic, which was a mod of Team Fortress Quake, originally released in 1996.

While this game is obviously not new to the scene, it’s one that you should definitely check out or revisit because in my opinion, it’s still better than most modern multiplayer combat games on the market in many different ways. 

Most popular multiplayer combat games have huge competitive scenes where there is a lot of of pressure on everyone participating, along with the fact that most of them don’t have much of a story behind the game.

I mean, look at Counter-strike: Global Offensive, the game basically has no backstory at all, and you’re just put into a game right off the bat. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but games with stories certainly help make the game more vibrant.

Team Fortress 2 on the other hand, has tons of lore to it, although it is not a super big part of the main game. There are 9 playable characters, each with their own unique and distinct personality, ranging from the Scout, an annoying but super fast scrapper from Boston who runs around with a baseball bat, to the Spy, a man of disguise who can disguise himself as any character and instantly kill anybody with a single backstab. There are tons of different ways you can customize your character as there are tons of hats and weapons you can get by simply playing the game, adding to the many different ways you can play the game.

A photo of in-game Team Fortress 2.
Photo via Valve

For the actual gameplay, there are many different game modes you can play, such as Capture The Flag, capturing or defending a series of different control points, pushing a cart into enemy explosives or defending against the said cart, or even working together as a team to fight against waves of robots. There are also tons of community servers where there are even more custom game modes, along with tons of other servers where you can play the game normally!

Even though this game is 15 years old, it is still one of the most popular games on Steam, the primary PC gaming platform, with thousands upon thousands of players online at any given time.

The game also has decent but not super detailed cartoony graphics, which means that you don’t need a super powerful computer to play the game for yourself, and it also means that the game is not super violent which means that it is an okay game for slightly younger audiences to play.

Unfortunately, though, this game is not perfect. Sometimes there can be toxic players in the chat, although toxic chat is an already existing problem in pretty much every online video game out there. However, if you don’t want to deal with the text and voice chat, you can always just turn it off. But something you can’t turn off and ignore is the huge bot crisis going on in the game. These bots will always play as the Sniper and headshot you as soon as you appear in their sight, which instantly kills you. The good news is that this bot crisis has died down and that on Community servers, bots are non-existent. Even though Valve does not release major updates to Team Fortress 2 anymore, the content that already exists and that the community has to offer provides players with more than enough content to have lots of fun. 

In conclusion, Team Fortress 2 is a super fun and addictive game with a pretty great community for the most part that you can spend hours upon hours having fun in! The best part of Team Fortress 2 though is that it’s free! I would highly recommend this game to everyone, especially since it’s a great introduction to combat games for people who are new to the genre.

The Nest • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

Guidelines for Commenting: No profanity, stay on topic, don’t negatively name individual people *Please keep in mind this is a high school newspaper, please comment accordingly.*
All The Nest Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *