69°
The Student News Site of Brentwood High School

The Nest

The Nest

The Nest

Studying Techniques For Finals

Finals are here, and I know a lot of people, including myself have been struggling to study. Well, to help you out, I put in my favorite ways to study and some straight-A student’s ways too. I bring up around 6 different techniques you can try out and they are all different so all you need to do is figure out which one works best for you. 

There are many ways to study. Some popular study practices include massed practice, annotating text, or repeated review. Another simple one that could improve your grades is underlining or highlighting important information in the text, reviewing it, and using mass practice. You could also repeatedly review one topic before moving on to the next. That’s called blocked practice, and also, reading and rereading a text helps a bunch. 

For studying, it’s essential to make sure you’re in the right environment, and rather than sitting on your bed; you are seated at a table. Make sure your area is clean too, so you aren’t focusing on that the whole time while you’re trying to study. Personally, my favorite way to learn is to use this 20-5 technique. You work for 20 minutes, then take a break for 5 minutes. I use this for everything. For example, cleaning, getting ready, and more. But I find it is most helpful while studying.

Technology can be used to your studying advantage too. An app that can help you study is Forest. You have to plant a seed in Forest when you need to stay focused and can’t put down your phone. As you stay off your phone, you will see the seed gradually grow into a beautiful tree, and if you get on your phone, it will die. You can also set a time limit for how long you will study on this app. 

Here are some studying tips from straight-A students:

Sophomore Emelda Forney said, “I make my study guides because I found out that this way helps me retain info. I use Quizlet a lot because it helps me a lot more than other methods I have tried out.”

Danyielle Wren said to take some time to focus on your work and study in increments. You study for 30 minutes, then take a 5-10 minute break. “That helps me stay focused,” she said.

Regardless of what you decide to do, make sure to try your best and push yourself through these times.