69°
The Student News Site of Brentwood High School

The Nest

The Nest

The Nest

Missouri takes the gold for the 2020 Super Bowl

Google Images, Zoe Krause
The 2020 Super Bowl was one for Missouri, as the KC Chiefs took home the trophy!

Football is one of America’s most beloved sports. Anyone who has ever been to school knows how nothing compares to finishing up a hard day’s work to enjoy the Friday night lights with friends. Football is not only popular at school but also professionally, and one of the most significant yearly sporting events of all time is the Super Bowl. This huge event wraps up the NFL season each year, and the 2020 Super Bowl was one to remember.

For the NFL’s 100th season, the Super Bowl stage was set in Miami with the San Francisco 49ers against the Kansas City Chiefs. The two matched up in a game for the ages with the 49ers lockdown number two defense clashing against KC’s high power number two offense. It boiled down to the wire, but the ending result was 31-20 for Missouri’s very own Chiefs! The Lombardi trophy is being brought back to Kansas City after a 50-year drought with their last Super Bowl victory dating back to January 11, 1970. This year’s game came down to the final minutes in the 4th quarter, but the Chiefs team, led by star quarterback Patrick Mahomes, pulled through on an impressive comeback. Going into the 4th quarter, the Chiefs trailed the 49ers by ten points without the ball, but due to a few much-needed stops by the KC defense, the team was given a shot to steal the football game. This Super Bowl MVP finished with 286 yards passing, two passing touchdowns, 30 rushing yards, and one rushing touchdown.

Missouri plans to celebrate the championship win with a parade through downtown Kansas City. It’s set to happen on Wednesday at 11:30 a.m., followed by a rally at Union Station in Kansas City. Many schools in the Kansas City area canceled Wednesday’s classes, and even the Kansas Legislature canceled the session for that day. One player for Kansas City, in particular, had his own unique way of celebrating his first ring. Defensive tackle Derrick Nnadi sponsored adoptions for all dogs who were at a Missouri shelter Sunday, which allowed dogs that became available for adoption on February 2 or before to be taken home for free by pet lovers.

Whether parading or donating, this win is one to celebrate. Missouri has been on fire for sports this year, bringing in two championships one from the St. Louis Blues of the NHL winning the Stanley Cup and the Lombardi trophy from the Kansas City Chiefs. Only time will tell what the next big wins are in store for Missouri.