73°
The Student News Site of Brentwood High School

The Nest

The Nest

The Nest

Top 5 places in St. Louis to take iconic prom photos

On Friday April 19th, BHS seniors will be attending their last high school dance: prom. The season where you don’t realize how much you have to plan until the week of. From nail appointments to dress shopping, there’s a lot that goes into creating that perfect prom look…but what about the pictures?

Every year, I blank on where to go for pictures, which usually ends in me going to the same parks I always go to. But St. Louis has so many great photo spots to offer!

Struggling to find locations? 

While Saint Louis County and other nearby counties have plenty of great options, not all of them will work when it comes to getting ready for prom AND getting to the Planetarium (this year’s prom venue) before doors close at 7pm. Therefore, I’ve narrowed down my list to include only my favorite spots that are within a ten-minute or less drive to the Planetarium so you can arrive in style, on time, and without breaking a sweat.  

1. Forest Park

5595 Grand Dr, St. Louis, MO 63112

If you drive around Forest Park during the spring, you are bound to see tons of teenagers dressed up and taking photos for prom. And for good reason, too. Forest Park offers many cool photo-ops. From Art Hill to the Jewel Box, there are so many great spots. And if you want to be away from other people, the park is so large that there are many more secluded spots with lush plants and water features everywhere. And the best part? Our prom venue is the Planetarium, which happens to be located in Forest Park!

Former students Jazzy Hererra and Eloise Ayotte pose at the bottom of Art Hill.
Seniors Teagan Karetski-Smythe, Norah Woodman, Emelda Forney, Amelia Spencer, and Haven White pose at the top of Art Hill.

2. Shaw Park

27 S Brentwood Blvd, Clayton, MO 63105

Shaw Park is another classic spot for pre-dance photos, given its central location and scenic park grounds. Along with the fountain and pond, the park is also very large, offering ample locations to get some great photos. Be warned though, it will most likely be very crowded, especially on a Friday or Saturday night.

Former students Justine Favazza and Lily Lancaster pose at Shaw Park.

3. City Garden / Kiener Plaza / Downtown

City Garden: 801 Market St, St. Louis, MO 63101

Kiener Plaza: 500 Chestnut St, St. Louis, MO 63101

Not a fan of nature backdrops? Downtown St. Louis has so much to offer for a more urban aesthetic. Kiener Plaza has been a popular spot in years past, with beautiful views that include the courthouse and the Arch. Speaking of the Arch, the Arch grounds are a great place for photography, as well as the nearby City Garden sculpture park. If you want more of that city feel for your photos, then taking a look around downtown St. Louis may give you just what you want.

Former students Charlotte Meatte-Kaiser and Haylie Minshall pose at the City Garden Sculpture Park.
Former students Camile Beck, Kaliah Beck, and Antoniette Willis pose at the City Garden Sculpture Park.

4. Tower Grove Park

4257 Northeast Dr, St. Louis, MO 63110

With unique rock formations, a pond, and several historic gazebos, this park has a little of everything. This large park hosts a variety of different photo locations, including this very popular one pictured below. 

Former student Annsleigh Alexander poses with senior Anna Jones at Tower Grove Park.

5. Oak Knoll

1 Oak Knoll Park, Clayton, MO 63105

Although you may have never heard of this one, don’t sleep on this photo location: Oak Knoll is a quiet park tucked away in the heart of Clayton. This is one of my favorite spots because I get nervous taking pictures in front of people, and this spot barely has any foot traffic. With pretty flowers and interesting statues and buildings, Oak Knoll is a great option if you want something a bit more lowkey.

Senior Emelda Forney poses at Oak Knoll Park.
Seniors Emelda Forney and Norah Woodman pose at Oak Knoll Park.

Even though planning prom activities can sometimes feel stressful, hopefully, this list can give you some ideas of where to go. Happy prom season, and we hope to see you Friday night at the Planetarium!

View Comments (1)