75°
The Student News Site of Brentwood High School

The Nest

The Nest

The Nest

A field trip to the Goodwill teaches much more than bargain hunting

On October 20th, 2023, some students in Mrs. Glasgow’s class headed to the Goodwill off of Manchester Road, right down the street from Brentwood High School for a field trip. The goal of the field trip was for students to have a hands-on experience as they learned about shopping for business clothing for jobs they could potentially hold in the future. Plus, by doing their shopping at the Goodwill, they were also able to shop more economically and sustainably.

Mrs. Erin Wallace, a Speech Language Pathologist at BMS and BHS, was invited as a guest to go on the field trip, and she enjoyed it just as much as the students. “It was really fun to watch the kids try on different outfits and get each other’s opinions and learn about more professional attire versus casual. I think they had a lot of fun shopping together,” she said.  “I think something that can be really important that we don’t always address with students is what professional clothing might be appropriate for certain occasions compared to other occupations.”

Junior Katie Mackie, a student who attended the field trip, loved the experience. “It was fun, I got to buy a dress and scarf,” said Mackie. “We drove there and we just went shopping, we bought things with our own money, too.”

The field trip was lots of fun for all of the SSD crew, both teachers and students alike, and the students got to enjoy a life lesson made fun.